Asking for Help - Ruger Leeward
d***@gmail.com
2018-02-04 07:16:39 UTC
I know this is an old thread but I need a pattern for a ruder on a Leeward 16.
I have owned a 1969 model Luger Leeward 16 daysailer since the early '80 and
have spent many very enjoyable summer (and mild winter days) sailing her.
(Yes, we can and do sail into December here in Eastern North Carolina.) But
years take their toll on both boats and owners.
What started out as a project to replace her rotted woodwork and repair a
small leak in the seam of her centerboard trunk has been put off for far too
long, but that's not the problem i have right now.
When I first got the notion to outfit her for shoal draft sailing (such as
is forced on us who sail this area) Luger Industries was still in business
and were kind enough to send me plans for a pop-up rudder, which has been
built and works quite nicely. However the person who built the boat put in
what i consider a non-standard centerboard. The board is pivoted about an
inch below the top of the trunk and when raised almost half of the board
extends above the top of the trunk. An open trunk like this makes for a
very wet ride when the boat gets up on her plane, which she does very easily
in a brisk breeze. Unfortunately when I asked Ruger about this i was told
that the original plans for the centerboard were no longer available.
I would like to pin the board at or below the waterline and make it narrow
enough to fit inside the trunk without any protrusion so i can cap the trunk
off but am rather shy about doing this for fear of losing her current fine
handling characteristics. I wish I could include some drawings to
illustrate what I mean but my scanner is down at the moment.
Does anyone have any suggestions or comments? I would love to hear any and
Thanks in advance. Andy
R***@minnow.net
2018-02-08 01:52:48 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
[...]
Why not raise the height of the trunk and cap that and be done with
it?
d***@gmail.com
2018-02-25 14:06:43 UTC
I need a picture or pattern for an early model Leeward Luger