Beneteau First 35s5 Review
Capt. Rob
2006-06-26 13:05:36 UTC
This is my honest review of the 35s5, a work still in progress for our
new 35s5 website soon to be up and running. Comments welcome...I expect
some useful ones from YOU, Bob C. Most others will just troll.

The Beneteau First Series 35s5 1988-1994 430 hulls produced

There are very few boats like the Beneteau 35s5, even from Beneteau
themselves. On the surface of the design we find a fast looking hull, a
large swim platform and odd squared off ports that continue from the
sides of the cabin trunk to the coach roof. These ports are incredibly
thick, more so than the ports on the Swan 36 which has a similar port
arrangement, though with just one large unit on either side. The boat
is modern looking, perhaps a bit too aggressive from some angles, but
generally pleasing to the eye. Very few off the rack boats offer this
level of distinctiveness. It's a welcome sight in a world of mostly
generic designs.

Her tall fractional rig is deck stepped and fitted with discontinuous
rod rigging. Her adjustable backstay is led to the swim platform and is
difficult to adjust. Many owners have improved the original design with
better purchase.

The helm is a huge wheel that spans the width of the cockpit well. It's
design focuses on outboard use, with the helmsman seated on the high
side. There is not much room to stand behind the wheel and most folks
under power will stand on the aft cockpit seat, which works fine and
gives good visibility forward. Below deck the Whitlock wheel is a rack
and pinion system. No sloppy cables for this machine. Quite a few
35s5's are fitted with a slick carbon fibre tiller.

The deck is uncluttered and all lines run under deck, guided by simple
and reliable deck organizers. The primary winches may seem a bit small
for a 35 footer, but this is a fractional rig and her headsails are
easily managed. The mainsheet system is mid-boom forward of the
companionway hatch. Some racers have moved the mainsheet back to the
cockpit with good results. Some boats were fitted with a tall mast
option, usually combined with the deep fin keel of 6 feet. The wing
draws a very easy 4'9.

Drop the aft lifelines and you have easy access to the large sugar
scoop swim platform. This is not some dinky platform and there is room
for two people to sit comfortably. The swim ladder is completely hidden
beneath a hatch. This is a popular spot on warm days, even under sail.
The length of the platform gives good security and the backstay adds to
this, without really getting in the way. Very nicely done!

Thick SS rails carve a path the length of the cabin trunk. Forward of
the mast is the hatch over the V Birth and the anchor locker, which big
enough for a single primary anchor, chain and 200 feet of rode. Unique
to the 35s5, the roller furling drum rests beneath the foredeck, but is
easily accessible through the anchor locker.

Her cockpit storage is cavernous, perhaps the largest I have ever seen.
There is room for sails, gear and even a packed inflatable to
starboard. The port storage can handle smaller gear, charts, lines and
so on. If that's not enough, two aft hatches on either side of wheel
lead to even more storage.

Down below is perhaps an even more dramatic statement. Philip Stark's
interior work is easily recognizable by anyone who's studied modern
design. Our interior features light teak veneer's over honeycomb
bulkheads to safe weight. Most of the trim is solid teak and there is
aluminum trim as well. The aft doors to the head and aft cabin are
gently curved and fitted with frosted glass ports. The aesthetic result
feels both modern and old-world all at once. Everyone simply loves the
interior. There are a total of 7 opening ports and 3 hatches on the
35s5. There are two non opening circular ports aft. Some charter
versions have a head forward allowing to two staterooms aft, with two
opening ports each. The forward head is very small on these versions.

The aft cabin is short on headroom, but generous for sleeping. I'm 6'3
and my wife is 5'6 and we both fit easily. The lack of headroom can
present some challenges to a sexually active couple, but where there's
a will there's a way! A single closet and good storage make this a very
usable area. There are two opening ports to provide ventilation, but
many folks will leave the door open on hot nights.

The navigation area of the 35s5 is well thought out and amazingly....a
full size chart table slides out with storage beneath. There is ample
storage here and the station is flanked by AC/DC panel and other
instruments

The head of the 35s5 is one of the largest ever on a 35-40 footer.
There is a real sink/vanity with great storage and a wet locker as
well. The shower is of the sit down variety. There is an opening port
in the head and an exhaust vent.

The galley is small, but very functional. Most boats have an oven/range
which is gimbaled with a stout bracer bar. A slide away cutting board
reveals the hatch to the 12V refrigeration and to the right of that,
dual round SS sinks. Storage for the galley is fair and in our boat the
large under-sink cabinet houses the air conditioning.

Forward of the galley is the traditional twin settees and the folding
dining table. After owning a C&C 32, I learned to really appreciate the
benefits of the dinette layout and miss it aboard the Beneteau. Still,
there is comfortable seating here for 4 or 5. The center of the table
has hidden wine storage below. Forward of the dining area is the
forward cabin. It's small and I'm actually too tall for the V-birth.
There are two small closets and more storage under the bunk.

Fit and finish of the 35s5 is above that of other Beneteaus. Sorry to
say that, but the 35s5 was in another league compared to the boats that
followed. Beneteau has let interior quality slip in recent years. Step
aboard a 36.7 and compare the fit an finish. The 35s5 is better and our
interior is in astounding shape. Cabinets and doors all shut as they
should and fit-lines can be sighted as near perfect. We did not observe
this level of quality even aboard the newer Tartans and Sabres we
looked at. Some might complain about the use of veneers, but you can't
have low weight honeycomb bulkheads and solid teak. The point here was
to save weight. The execution of this design approach is excellent.
Workmanships is about fit an finish, not materials, so avoid that trap.

Under power the 35s5 gives no surprises. The Volvo diesel runs smoothly
and pushes the boat easily even at lower RPMs, though the engine
controls should have been mounted on the pedestal. Cost of Volvo parts
is SO HIGH that I'd look for any reasonable excuse to repower the 35s5
with a new diesel. I know that sounds crazy as our Volvo runs great and
has less than 300 hours, but I really prefer the newer diesels from
Yanmar and the like with fair pricing on parts when required.

Under sail....ahhh, this is what it's all about! Hoist the impressively
large mainsail and the 35s5 comes to life. Under main alone, she sails
like a big dinghy, accelerating smartly even in lighter air. Balance is
excellent. Pop the genoa and boat really takes flight. Upwind
performance is excellent. Though light on her toes this is not an
uncomfortable ride. Off the wind the boat remains impressively quick
and she responds to the smallest helm inputs and trimming. If you like
to play and adjust, the 35s5 will be a load of fun. Depower the rig a
bit and the boat is more forgiving. Dead downwind the boat suffers
somewhat, especially with her wing keel (Very serious racers should
seek out the deep fin version). This is not to say she's slow downwind,
but some newer racer/cruiser designs certainly fare better with less
fuss. In heavier air it's important to have her rig properly tuned or
she can misbehave when sailed hard.

The Whitlock helm of the 35s5 is simply in another league and you will
always notice the feather-lite handling a sensitive feedback of the
rack and pinion based system over the typical cable based steering.
There's no going back once you've tried this.

I don't race, but a detailed look at the 35s5's race history tells a
clear story. The 35s5 has a tough time with her rating. The fin version
is often rated at 114, but the boats that can handle that must be
expertly crewed and perfectly tuned. More casual racers can have a
tougher time. The wing version generally rates between 125-129 and that
is also a low rating, which can be a tougher nut to crack, since wing
keel owners may be less serious about racing to begin with. With that
said, the 35s5 wins plenty of races and with a good crew and proper
tuning she's a true racing machine.

For us, a family of 3, the Beneteau First 35s5 is many things. She's
fast and fun to sail, even under main alone. She can also be sailed in
a very relaxed fashion and her stunning interior and comforts make her
a wonderful coastal cruiser. She's simply more fun than a Tartan,
Catalina, Hunter or Sabre and sails better when winds dwindle. As the
wind builds, so does the fun factor. The 35s5 is sort of like owning a
J35 with the interior of a real cruising boat. 5 or 6 people can enjoy
the spacious cockpit and her deckspace is truly usable. Few boats can
wear so many hats with such grace and quality.

On the downside...
A) The 35s5 has reasonable storage, but you will have to look for it.
She lacks the cabinet/closet/drawer space of more dedicated cruising
designs.
B) Perhaps the 35s5 interior is so striking as to distract from the
fact that it's still smaller than some others. A Catalina 34 is larger,
certainly with more interior beam. Somehow the 35s5 manages to do many
of the same things but the smaller volume is noticeable. The volume is
better than any Sabre 34 though and years better than the
wonderful-to-sail J34c.
C) The stock backstay adjustment is pretty weak and takes a lot of
muscle to bear down on. It's a "must upgrade item" for these boats.
D) This is not a forgiving boat for racers. By all accounts she
requires a sharp crew and proper tuning to sail anywhere near her
ratings. 35s5's still win a lot of races but casual racers will
probably prefer a less finicky design. The occasional beer-can racer
will see more success with a Catalina 36 for example, even if a 35s5 is
twice the fun and performance boat-for-boat.

Other options...
There are quite a few boats that sail this well or better, but very few
that have her features AND speed. Some are out there, but quite hard to
locate. I also like the C&C 34XL, but her deep draft makes her an
unlikely suspect for the LIS. For a price between 55-70K a Beneteau
35s5 is tough to match if you want an aft cabin, swim platform coupled
with true performance cruising. Quite a few newer boats can do what the
35s5 does, but you'll pay a newer price and still may miss out in some
areas, such as the 35s5's excellent interior build.

And so...we're quite happy with our 35s5...a fast and fun design that
has Swiss Army knife-like versatility. The 35s5 is certainly one of
Beneteau's most original designs. No sailor walks by without taking a
long hard look and most love her lines and daring design elements. In
the end, with all of the pretty bits and pieces, she's a sailors boat
with the type of performance most of us crave. She trounces most of the
popular generics we encounter of course and surprises quite a few
go-fast boats in tough conditions. Our "Heart of Gold" is the most fun
we've had so far! If your close to buying that family Catalina 34-38,
Hunter, Tartan or whatever...STOP...and have a look at the 35s5.

Capt. RB
35s5
NY
DSK
2006-06-26 13:22:50 UTC
Post by Capt. Rob
This is my honest review of the 35s5, a work still in progress for our
new 35s5 website soon to be up and running.
Hey Bubbles, are you thinking of buying a Beneteau? Or just
planning on faking some pics of one?

DSK
Capt. Rob
2006-06-26 13:36:12 UTC
Post by DSK
Hey Bubbles, are you thinking of buying a Beneteau? Or just
planning on faking some pics of one?>>>
Uh, you mean like this one?

The new website is nearly ready, Doug. It has pics of Heart of Gold
exterior, interior, and a few sailing pics with all of us and Thomas.
This week I'm putting the dinghy in the water and hope to shoot the
boat sailing as well.
No comments on the review?

RB
35s5 "Heart of Gold"
NY
DSK
2006-06-26 13:44:02 UTC
Post by Capt. Rob
The new website is nearly ready, Doug.
Well I'm very happy for you. Why don't you join a website
discussion group? This one is mostly about sailing (and
related topics).
Post by Capt. Rob
No comments on the review?
It's a nice bit of advertising fluff. You going into the ad
business?

Why no mention of the boat's design or sailing
characteristics, in technical design & sailing terms? Or
don't you know enough to discuss things in that manner?

For example, when you first brought up your claims about the
Ben35s5, you said something about it's being IOR influenced
but never gave any indication you know what that means.
Maybe now would be a good time?

DSK
Bob Crantz
2006-06-26 13:47:10 UTC
Photoshoped!!!

That picture is altered!
http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/heartweb.jpg
NY
Capt. Rob
2006-06-26 14:08:59 UTC
For example, when you first brought up your claims about the
Ben35s5, you said something about it's being IOR influenced
but never gave any indication you know what that means.
Maybe now would be a good time? >>>

Some of the aspects of the IOR influence, which was discussed with
folks at UK sails who came to survey her sails, are the sucked-in aft
section, flattened leading area to the wing (okay, this is a stretch)
and thrifty LWL before the scoop. Later on, Mark at Doyle sails
mentioned the same IOR elements of her design though he called them
modest. He was racing his 36.7 First series at the time and is a fan of
the first series. Even the surveyor mentioned it when she was pulled
from the water. The tucked in aft areas are very obvious compared to
the more modest consessions to IOR by my old C&C 32.
She's not IOR influences in any major way. She's not tender, but some
of her elements regarding wetted surface and LWL are IOR sourced at
least enough to bear mention.

RB
35s5
NY
Maxprop
2006-06-26 22:09:24 UTC
Post by Capt. Rob
. Later on, Mark at Doyle sails
mentioned the same IOR elements of her design though he called them
modest. He was racing his 36.7 First series at the time and is a fan of
the first series.
PHRF New England

35s5 (wk) 123
36.7 78

Wow. I never realized what a slow tub that s5 is.

Max
DSK
2006-06-27 11:38:19 UTC
Post by Maxprop
Post by Capt. Rob
. Later on, Mark at Doyle sails
mentioned the same IOR elements of her design though he called them
modest.
What sort of hull shape is "modesty?"
Post by Maxprop
PHRF New England
35s5 (wk) 123
36.7 78
Wow. I never realized what a slow tub that s5 is.
Well, it's an older design and also suffered a bit from
trying to stuff bigger cruising accomodations into a hull
form that was never very spacious.

Just for giggles, I did a sort on PHRF rating of my current
database. Here's the list of boats within a few points
rating of the Beneteau 35s5:

Santana 30 RC M
Hotfoot 31
Dehler DB-1
Sweden 34
CS 36
Sabre 36
C&C 38-2
Ericson 38-2 SD
Beneteau First 35s7
Sabre 38-1
Sabre 38 MKII
Morgan 41
Sun Odyssey 36
Frers 30
Abbott 33
WST 34
C&C 35-1
Irwin 38 CB
Nightwind 35
SCHOCK 34 PC
SHOW 36
Beneteau 35.5 W
Swan 371
Seidelmann 37
Santana 37
Ranger 37
Tartan 37-3
LITTLE HARBOR 38
CAL 40
MOODY 376
Hunter 36-2 WK
BRISTOL 41.1
BREWER 44
Mariah 27
Tartan 34-2
GSOL 36
Beneteau 355
Pearson 36-2
Waquiez 38
Endeavour 38
Beneteau 390
C&C 48LF
LAGOON 42
LAGOON 42
CONCORDIA 46
IMP 26 OB
Kirby 30
CSA 33-2
VIK 33
Aphrodite 101
Dehler 34
CLEARWATER 35
Dehler Optima 101
CAL 33-2
JEANNEAU 33
Jeanneau Sun Rise 33
ERICSON 41
DEHLER 33
Avance 36
PASP 37
LCST 36
MORGAN 382
Seafarer 37
MOOD 376
Islander 44
Beneteau Oceanis 390
BENETEAU 361
CSY 50
Wauquiez Hood 38
Express 28
LASER 28
WLT 33
ERICSON 333
DUFOUR 35
Tartan 33R
IRWIN 35
Endeavour 35

Same size range, faster (or much faster), with at least a
pretty good interior:
J-34
FINN 351
OOD 34
C&C 35-3
Schock 34PC
J-32
Elite 36
Tartan 3500
C&C 35-1 M
S2 10.3
Baltic 35
Morgan 364
Sweden 36
CSA 35-0
OMEGA 36
Peterson 34
X-332
FINNGULF 335
Mirage 338
Tripp 33
C&C 34XL
Capt. Rob
2006-06-27 12:11:01 UTC
Wow, Doug! Thanks for the list. Look at all of those bigger boats that
would still struggle to pass a 35s5 if they could at all, and most have
poor interiors. Of the boats on your faster list, the 34XL remains one
of my top picks. Still, 7 foot draft is a problem. A CB version is rare
and all cost 30K more!
The 35s5 is a rare combo of speed and interior accomodations and that
list proves it. Very few 35 footers can match her speed and still carry
a aft cabin, swim platform, large bunks, huge cockpit...a lot of
comfort for a boat so much fun to sail. This is the sort of performance
that Maxprop and Joe don't get.
I am friends with the C&C 34XL owner and we're planning to sail to Port
Jeff in a few weeks. Should be interesting to see how much faster the
C&C racer is. We've sailed side by side only once and I was faster on a
close reach in 10 knots of air, but that was it. He was faster
everywhere else by small margins.

RB
35s5
NY
DSK
2006-06-27 12:21:31 UTC
Post by Capt. Rob
Wow, Doug! Thanks for the list. Look at all of those bigger boats that
would still struggle to pass a 35s5
A 30 and a 32 footer is bigger than the 35s5? Funny I got
the impression it was generally in the class of 35 footers.
True the Morgan 41 is bigger but it's also 20 years older.
Post by Capt. Rob
.... most have
poor interiors.
Sorry but Sweden and Baltic and Finngulf yachts do not have
"poor" interiors.
Post by Capt. Rob
... Of the boats on your faster list, the 34XL remains one
of my top picks.
Why didn't you get one?

Still, 7 foot draft is a problem. A CB version is rare
Post by Capt. Rob
and all cost 30K more!
Bullshit. Boats with CBs generally go for a bit of a
discount since fewer people want the maintenance hit. And
the Cb version can't be too "rare" since there are two of
them in our area.

Besides, what's $30K to somebody who is as rich as you claim
to be?

DSK
Ringmaster
2006-06-27 22:05:21 UTC
The 34XL rates the same in most areas as the J35 so the Boob's story of
keeping up is pretty funny if all things were equal.
Ringmaster
2006-06-27 22:02:29 UTC
<<<The 35s5 is a rare combo of speed and interior accomodations and
that
list proves it.>>>>

Maybe in the Matrix. The 35s5 rates in most areas above 128. The
benchmark 35' racer/cruiser is a "old" J35 and it rates 72! The J35 is
no lightweight and has a fine interior. After 2 miles the J would be
almost a mile ahead of your 35s5. Now tell us about the swim platform.
Bob Crantz
It's an award winning platform!
Ringmaster
2006-06-28 04:39:39 UTC
The Express 35 which has a first class interior rates about 20 sec a
mile faster than the 35s5.

35s5: always at the back of the pack.
Capt. Rob
2006-06-28 10:55:00 UTC
Post by Ringmaster
The Express 35 which has a first class interior rates about 20 sec a
mile faster than the 35s5. >>>
BWahahahahaha! Care to post a pic of that 1st Class interior? It's
typical early 80's drugery! Still worse, to get a Express 35 to sail
well it needs the deep 6.5 foot keel!!!! No thanks.
Poor sloco NEVER got over when I posted race info showing a 35s5
beating his beloved Express 35 dinosaur, not once but TWICE! The best
part was that it was a WK 35s5!!! On, and the those midget bunks on the
Express...nice design.

No more pop-out windows, Sloco. Get a modern boat, Sloco! The Express
35 was such a huge flop they sold virtually none of them. They are as
rare as a snow white turd and always trashed when you do find one.

RB
35s5
NY
Maxprop
2006-06-28 13:31:38 UTC
Post by Capt. Rob
No more pop-out windows, Sloco. Get a modern boat, Sloco!
The 35s5 is a "modern boat??"

The metric series C&Cs are modern boats, as are the metric series J-Boats
and X-Boats. The Bendy is an anachronism.

Max
Capt. Rob
2006-06-28 13:34:38 UTC
The metric series C&Cs are modern boats, as are the metric series
J-Boats
and X-Boats. The Bendy is an anachronism. >>>

Which makes your boat a...what...a Stegosaurus???

Bwahahahahahahahhahahahahaha!

RB
35s5
NY
Ringmaster
2006-06-28 13:40:26 UTC
Notice he hasen't touched the speed thing. The 35s5 is a slow 35
footer. Race results, when you can find one entered in a race, prove
it. We all remember the tons of results that were found online that
showed the 35s5 finishing behind boats in PHRF C that started 5 minutes
after the 35s5. Not once but umteen times.
Capt. Rob
2006-06-28 13:44:11 UTC
Post by Ringmaster
Notice he hasen't touched the speed thing. The 35s5 is a slow 35
footer. Race results, when you can find one entered in a race, prove
it. We all remember the tons of results that were found online that
showed the 35s5 finishing behind boats in PHRF C that started 5 minutes
after the 35s5. Not once but umteen times.>>>
Nice desperate revisionist history by Sloco. I posted for two months
the wins by 35s5 including major offshore races in Europe....until you
all started complaining that MY boat hadn't won! Meanwhile Sloco was
very very quiet when I posted two races showing the 35s5 beating his
Express 35!!!

RB
35s5
NY
Maxprop
2006-06-29 03:48:23 UTC
Post by Maxprop
The metric series C&Cs are modern boats, as are the metric series J-Boats
and X-Boats. The Bendy is an anachronism. >>>
Which makes your boat a...what...a Stegosaurus???
Bwahahahahahahahhahahahahaha!
That doesn't bother me in the least, Bubbles. I enjoy the frequent
photographs taken of her when we sail, not to mention the folks who sail
close enough to tell us what a beauty she is. Does that ever happen to you?

Oh wait, I forgot, no one can catch up to you, can they.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Max
Capt. Rob
2006-06-29 07:57:24 UTC
That doesn't bother me in the least, Bubbles. I enjoy the frequent
photographs taken of her when we sail, not to mention the folks who
sail
close enough to tell us what a beauty she is. Does that ever happen to
you? >>>

Maxi, this is City Island, we have many beautiful Albergs, Cape Dory's,
Wanderers, Vandguards...just a ton of nice old timers. They are common
and I don't see anyone taking photos. Maybe your type of boat is rare
somewhere, but not here. On the other hand my wife and I went sailing
Tuesday and when we came back and washed down the boat two couples
stopped to look at Heart of Gold. Most seem to really like her looks,
but then you already said you also liked her looks.

<<<Oh wait, I forgot, no one can catch up to you, can they. >>

Certainly no one in a boat like yours. We pass those folks like they're
standing still.

RB
35s5
NY
Maxprop
2006-06-29 21:13:27 UTC
Post by Maxprop
[...]
Except when crossing something open and rough, in which case you won't pass
me at all. Rather you'll turn and head back for the marina. Or more
correctly you wouldn't have left it in the first place.

In terms of seakindliness, my boat leaves yours on the beach.

The telling aspect of all this is that if we both left simultaneously for a
port of, say 35nm distance, you'd arrive there less than a half hour before
me. BFD. If conditions were rough, my crew would be comfortable and yours
beat to hell.

Max
Capt. Rob
2006-06-29 22:26:44 UTC
The telling aspect of all this is that if we both left simultaneously
for a
port of, say 35nm distance, you'd arrive there less than a half hour
before
me. BFD. If conditions were rough, my crew would be comfortable and
yours
beat to hell. >>>

Total nonsense. If we both left for Port Jeff I'd get there a lot
sooner than a 1/2 hour ahead. Winds don't just stay fixed. And lord
help you if we had to beat. You might not make it at all. As for rough
conditions, the 35s5 is used for offshore racing and cruising and I've
yet to read any accounts of folks finding her lacking. In good 3-4 foot
swells in 25 knots of air she's simply a blast, where your boat would
wallow and crash through every third wave. Remember, she has a lot of
buoyancy and freeboard. We certainly did not buy a boat for motion
comfort on the rare days where it's rough. We're young and want a boat
that performs, not a sea anchor.
Last week we had a day that was pretty rough. Good steady chop,
whitecaps and gusts to 28-30 knots. We were out with a reefed main. The
35s5 handles like a giant laser with just her main. It was actually a
pretty relaxing sail because we were nicely depowered...and yet we
could still point with just the main...fantastic! Like a fractional J
Boat, the 35s5 is simple when we want her to be. She can fit the
conditions.
On the other hand your boat is slow and uninvolving most of the time.
Once in a blue moon it will be just right for her and you can kid
yourself she's a good boat. But most of the time a 35s5, J34c or even a
little J24 is just going to party while you watch them dance.

RB
35s5
NY
Maxprop
2006-06-30 03:57:37 UTC
Post by Maxprop
The telling aspect of all this is that if we both left simultaneously for a
port of, say 35nm distance, you'd arrive there less than a half hour before
me. BFD. If conditions were rough, my crew would be comfortable and yours
beat to hell. >>>
Total nonsense. If we both left for Port Jeff I'd get there a lot
sooner than a 1/2 hour ahead. Winds don't just stay fixed. And lord
help you if we had to beat. You might not make it at all.
Ignorance is your finest quality, Bubbles. Come to think of it, it's no
quality at all. Oh well, the point is that my boat points within a few
degrees of yours. It's not as fast, but that's irrelevant considering the
age and technology differences.
Post by Maxprop
As for rough
conditions, the 35s5 is used for offshore racing and cruising and I've
yet to read any accounts of folks finding her lacking.
Lessee, could it be, maybe, just maybe that no one has been stupid enough to
take one out in rough conditions so far?? Bendy's aren't known for their
heavy weather ability. They tend to come apart along that silly force grid,
provided it was bonded properly in the first place, which it apparently
often isn't. They're great coastal cruisers, but only the foolhardy would
take one offshore in anything but docile conditions.
Post by Maxprop
In good 3-4 foot
swells in 25 knots of air she's simply a blast, where your boat would
wallow and crash through every third wave.
This is your definition of rough weather???
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post by Maxprop
Remember, she has a lot of
buoyancy and freeboard.
See my comment about ignorance. Since when does lots of freeboard have
anything to do with seaworthiness? It may make a landlubber feel better,
being so "far" from the water, but it has nothing to do with a seaworthy
boat. Lin and Larry Pardey have sailed boats with damn little freeboard
around the world several times, through hurricanes and typhoons, and those
boats are still in one piece and still sailing. And the Pardey's are still
alive and kicking. BTW, what's your ballast/displacement ratio, Bubbles?
That relates to seaworthiness far more than freeboard.
Post by Maxprop
We certainly did not buy a boat for motion
comfort on the rare days where it's rough. We're young and want a boat
that performs, not a sea anchor.
Young?? LOL.
Post by Maxprop
Last week we had a day that was pretty rough. Good steady chop,
whitecaps and gusts to 28-30 knots. We were out with a reefed main.
Bubbles idea of "rough". What a joke.
Post by Maxprop
The
35s5 handles like a giant *lobster* with just her main. It was actually a
pretty relaxing sail because we were nicely depowered...and yet we
could still point with just the main...fantastic! Like a fractional J
Boat, the 35s5 is simple when we want her to be. She can fit the
conditions.
Try some really *rough* conditions and get back to me.
Post by Maxprop
On the other hand your boat is slow and uninvolving most of the time.
Hardly. I'd love the opportunity to thoroughly embarrass you sometime.
Sailing with a Catalina 34 tall rig over a three day period in winds from 5
to over 25 kts., roughly 200 miles, we stayed with the Catalina in the
lighter air and left her well behind on the windier days. It can't handle
steep, closely-spaced chop worth a damn. We averaged 7.2 kts. on all but
the lightest day, and saw 8+ on the GPS more than once. Not bad for a boat
with a 24' LWL, eh? Your Bendy is only marginally faster than a Catalina
tall rig 34 under most conditions, and probably slower in steep chop.
Boats like yours shine on flat water with winds below 15kts. That's what
they were designed and built for.
Post by Maxprop
Once in a blue moon it will be just right for her and you can kid
yourself she's a good boat. But most of the time a 35s5, J34c or even a
little J24 is just going to party while you watch them dance.
I doubt if your boat could stay with any J-Boat over 33' under any
conditions. Especially with you at the helm.

Leave your floating swim platform tied to the dock, Bubbles. You'll be
happier that way. Trust me--when "slower" boats leave you lagging behind,
the embarrassment will have you spouting utterances that Thomas shouldn't
hear at his tender age.

Max
Ringmaster
2006-06-30 06:45:49 UTC
<<<As for rough conditions, the 35s5 is used for offshore racing
Really! Where? What race? Newport to Bermuda? Chicago Mac?
Annapolis to Bermuda? Transpac? I've never seen one on an entry list
let alone results. Remember, an Express 30 still holds the Double
Atlantic Crossing record. There's a true offshore racer/cruiser.

35s5
The back of no fleet but a great charter boat.
Capt. Rob
2006-06-30 10:14:28 UTC
Hardly. I'd love the opportunity to thoroughly embarrass you sometime.

Sailing with a Catalina 34 tall rig over a three day period in winds
from 5
to over 25 kts., roughly 200 miles, we stayed with the Catalina in the
lighter air and left her well behind on the windier days.>>>

Reading your post was pretty funny. Like Joe, you rave about big seas
and the like, yet here you are typing away and sailing coastal.
Meanwhile 35s5's have circumnavgated. I know it's more the sailor than
the boat, but the 35s5 can do it.
And now you chatter mindlessly about the Catalina 34, a boat I've
actually sailed a lot. The one I'm selling is a boat I spent many
nights sailing. In 25 knots, reefed down, the Catalina will be nowhere
close to the speed of the 35s5. Do you know the difference between 7.5
knots and 9-10?
I like where you said that your boat will point within a few degress of
my 35s5. Did you know my boat will point within a few degrees of the
J105? Really, Maxi!
So now we know that, when you spoke of heavy conditions you meant 20
foot seas and 60 knot winds. In those conditions I suppose the Sea
Sprite might have a better motion, but I had no idea you were talking
about that. How often do you sail in such conditions? Perhaps you're
sailing the righ boat afterall.
Here on the LIS, 5-7 foot swells are the max, and short lived. The 35s5
slices through 3 foot short chop...or rather over it at better than 9
knots. That's what these boats do. If you can get a Catalina 34 to do
that I'm sure Frank Butler would love to hear about it.
Maxi, your boat is old and slow. Period. It's not much fun to sail.
Period. You don't sail her offshore enough to warrant such a boat and
there are now boats like mine than play the flute and the fiddle. So
you have a vessel that is suited to conditions you don't or rarely see.
With that rational you could have bought a trawler like Doug. Afterall
there are more windless days than ones with 20 foot seas.

Now seriously....BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA!

RB
35s5
NY
Carcharias
NY
t***@gmail.com
2016-06-10 03:36:50 UTC
Post by Maxprop
[...]
If so many 35s5 perform poorly in races, is it possible that it's not the boat or the skipper but a matter of "poor rating" of the 35s5. Maybe 125 PHRF should be reconsidered.
While the PHRF rating of the 35s5 may be questioned, when saying that one boat is faster than another on LIS in any given condition, I think that the capability of the skipper and crew must be considered. 3-5 foot seas and 25 knot winds on LIS are not uncommon. The success of one boat over another is dependent on the experience of the skipper and crew in these conditions. If the skipper is in-experienced, an experienced skipper of a canoe would beat the former in a race. That is until the in-experienced skipper puts up the iron jib. Even then, under certain conditions I might still bet on the canoe.
Gina Man
2016-10-25 23:27:47 UTC
Post by Maxprop
[...]
I remember Capt. Rob. What a blowhard liar he was. Always
claiming his boat was better than anybody else's.

Then mostly we got stories from him how he ran aground
trying to get out of his slip. Any photos he offered
always showed serious faults with his boat and rigging.

His boat was more of a nursery for his bastard brat and
he talked about breast pumps and knew more about breast
pumps than sailing.

He was one of those poor little rich boys who thought he
could impress with bluster and lies.

NOT.

Ringmaster
2006-06-28 13:34:26 UTC
<<<The Express 35 was such a huge flop they sold virtually none of
them.>>>

LOL.......... Don't think so Bud or Boob. Express went away like so
many others in the late eighties.
Capt. Rob
2006-06-28 13:48:15 UTC
Post by Ringmaster
<<<The Express 35 was such a huge flop they sold virtually none of
them.>>>
LOL.......... Don't think so Bud or Boob. Express went away like so
many others in the late eighties.
Really? How many hulls did Express make of the 35? I bet the 35s5 alone
was much more popular than the Entire Express line!!!!!
How many hulls, Sloco?

RB
35s5
NY
Capt. Rob
2006-06-26 14:09:56 UTC
Post by Bob Crantz
Photoshoped!!!
That picture is altered!
How so? This was shot with a Casio BTW.

RB
35s5
NY
Joe
2006-06-26 14:30:46 UTC
Post by Bob Crantz
Photoshoped!!!
That picture is altered!
Yelp...He even forgot the boom when he imported the image.

Joe
NY
Capt. Rob
2006-06-26 15:06:26 UTC
Yelp...He even forgot the boom when he imported the image.>>>

Damn! I missed that!

RB
35s5
NY
Ringmaster
2006-06-26 15:21:13 UTC
Can't believe any boat designed in the late eighties would still have
any IOR influences in it's underbody. If so that's too bad.
Don't think I would want a 35' boat with a deck stepped mast.

35s5 back of the pack as far as design goes.
Capt. Rob
2006-06-26 15:40:45 UTC
Can't believe any boat designed in the late eighties would still have
any IOR influences in it's underbody. If so that's too bad. >>>

Well, Doug says "no" so fight it out with him. I could care less if she
was influenced by the works of Mozart!
Bottom line...we're having a blast with Heart of Gold. She's faster,
roomier and nicer in every way compared to your boat and that's KILLING
YOU. And we own her 100%.
Then again...Bob, Doug and others claim she doesn't exist. so why not
jump on that frieghter?

RB
35s5...the nicer boat as usual
NY
Bob Crantz
The boat exists alright. You don't own it though.
Capt. Rob
2006-06-26 17:37:32 UTC
The boat exists alright. You don't own it though. >>>

Okie dokey, Dukie!

RB
35s5
NY
DSK
2006-06-26 19:12:31 UTC
Post by Ringmaster
Can't believe any boat designed in the late eighties would still have
any IOR influences in it's underbody. If so that's too bad.
Don't think I would want a 35' boat with a deck stepped mast.
35s5 back of the pack as far as design goes.
Well, some classes were bringing in new designs under the
IOR rules (technically the IOR-3) into the early '90s. The
50-foot rating class was pretty competitive. And the
Quarter-Ton class is making a comeback although I don't know
if there are any new boats being designed to the rule for it.

When most people say "IOR influence" they mean the
broach-coach mid/late '70s boats, with diamond shaped
waterlines, pinched ends, masthead rigs with teeny
downward-slanting booms, and generally poor seaworthiness
(which should not be a surprise, they were optimized for
'round the bouys).

There were two or three generations of later IOR boats, with
a variety of characteristics. The broach-coaches were due to
tunnel vision by the designers to try & get longest
waterline possible with the shortest rated waterline, which
is why the hull got to be so odd shaped. Some designers
realized that any boat which could sail faster than it's
rating would be a winner and got away from such malarkey.

The Beneteau 35s5 is influenced by a later generation of IOR
boats and doesn't have any of the characteristics of the
classic IOR broach coach. It's a frac rig with a relatively
fine bow, slack bilges, and a flat panel in the aft sections.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King
Capt. Rob
2006-06-26 20:51:41 UTC
The Beneteau 35s5 is influenced by a later generation of IOR
boats and doesn't have any of the characteristics of the
classic IOR broach coach. It's a frac rig with a relatively
fine bow, slack bilges, and a flat panel in the aft sections. >>>

Thanks, Doug. No one said anything about which gen of IOR, just an
influence mainly in the aft sections. If Sloco feels this makes it a
bad boat, so be it. I find the older IOR designs beautiful in their own
way as do many others. So far so fast.

RB
35s5
NY
Maxprop
2006-06-26 22:01:57 UTC
Post by Capt. Rob
Post by DSK
Hey Bubbles, are you thinking of buying a Beneteau? Or just
planning on faking some pics of one?>>>
Uh, you mean like this one?
http://members.aol.com/bobsprit/images/heartweb.jpg
Did you get the owner's permission to photograph his/her boat, Bubbles?

Max
Capt. Rob
2006-06-26 23:10:10 UTC
Did you get the owner's permission to photograph his/her boat,>>>

Of course! And it's faster than your boat with just the main up vs.
your slug with a big headsail! Zowee!
You should try a fast boat, they are a ton of fun. A new 36.7 is even
faster, though the interior kills it for cruising.

RB
35s5
NY
Maxprop
2006-06-27 02:43:57 UTC
Post by Capt. Rob
Did you get the owner's permission to photograph his/her boat,>>>
Of course! And it's faster than your boat with just the main up vs.
your slug with a big headsail! Zowee!
That's hardly a claim to be chest-thumping about. My boat is no speed
demon, but neither is yours. The majority of boats on our dock could beat
anything with a 123 PHRF.
Post by Capt. Rob
You should try a fast boat, they are a ton of fun. A new 36.7 is even
faster, though the interior kills it for cruising.
Our friends have a Frers 45 (PHRF 33) which leaves 35s5s somewhere in the
past century. It's fun, but like the 36.7 it has spartan interior
accommodations.

Max
Capt. Rob
2006-06-27 09:43:46 UTC
That's hardly a claim to be chest-thumping about. My boat is no speed
demon, but neither is yours. The majority of boats on our dock could
beat
anything with a 123 PHRF. >>>

Wow, you must have a lot of 30 something fast boats there with nice
interiors. Doug would like to hear about them. At our marina we have
many nice boats....Sabre, C&C, Island Packet, Vindo, Bristol, Sweden,
Catalina, J boat and so on. Not many close to the LOA of the 35s5 will
beat her boat for boat. And only one boat is faster while also having
our accomodations. Could you please list the boats at your marina
(staying close to her size...I know a 45' Sweden is faster!) that does
what the 35s5 does? I'm sure when you said the majority of boats could
beat the 35s5, you weren't talking about boats 10 feet longer...or
speedboats, right?

RB
35s5
NY