Newbie question about rigging a Ghost 13
s***@sbcglobal.net
2015-12-30 23:36:27 UTC
I'm very new to sailing and would like to learn more. I hope that
this is the place if not please tell where i might go for answers. I
currently don't have a boat, but can get my hands on an old Ghost 13
for free. A couple of questions
1. Is this a good starter boat.
2. I've messed around with the rigging and have a couple of questions
(the person that has the boat knows nothing about it).
a. I raised the mast and got all of the stays attached. i assume that
it is normal for the mast to pivot when the boom moves ??
b. I think that the only thing missing is the center board. Does
anyone know where i might look for a replacement?
c. Finally i'm not sure how to rig the mainsheet through a series of
pulleys and such. There are 2 pulleys on the boom and one on the
floor with a ratchet cleat. The mainsheet line is already attached to
the end of the boom, does it start there ???
Thanks in advance for your advice. This newsgroup seems fairly
advanced, i understand that this is very basic. Again if this is not
the place for these types of questions forgive me.
Mark Burris
Hi Mark,
I was past national sales manager of the Ghost 13 factory when it was made in Chicago. I also had the dealership when made in California and was the number 1 dealer in the country on the Ghost. The boat is not being produced but we are wanting to build new molds and build the boat again. It won Yachting magazines one of a kind "Tea Cup Regatta" boat for boat against the then new Laser and all other small boats entered. I am accumulating spare parts and rigging for the boat and giving all the help I can. We are also holding a "national championship 2016 in Indianapolis. No matter how chalked out the deck looks it can be restored in one afternoon to like new by wet sanding with running water with 500, then 1000, the 2000 grit sandpaper. then buffing or hand rubbing with Maguire auto cleaner-wax. ***@sbcblobal.net. If you want to sell the boat I am interested. I just bought one in original new condition myself. If you or others can make it to Indianapolis, Ind, this summer, I will take you out on mine and teach you to sail the boat and to love it. Check out my article on Frank' corner in Texas sailing my Ghost article (by me Spike Selig. This is an incredible boat!! It is extremely fast in light wind and planes easily. I will send you sources for parts and I may have a centerboard for sale.
Drew Dickson